LIS Links Becoming More Social

Latest Activity

Profile IconLIS Links now has leaderboards
9 hours ago
Profile IconRaj Stephan Murmu, Jyoti Amit kumar Solanki, Mumtaz Nazir and 3 more joined LIS Links
10 hours ago
Anant Kulkarni updated their profile
10 hours ago
Bidyut Bikash Kalita was featured
17 hours ago
Dr. Chhavi Jain and Shadiya are now friends
yesterday
Reeti Brar is attending Sunita Pareek's event
Thumbnail

Webinar on AI for Libraries at https://meet.google.com/fey-fjee-mdr

December 12, 2025 from 12pm to 2pm
Tuesday
Samidha Sandeep Yadav might attend Gopal Pandey's event
Tuesday
shankar das updated their profile
Tuesday
Namita Bayan is attending Dr. Divyanshu Gupta's event
Monday
Namita Bayan might attend Rabishankar Giri's event

ICSSR-Sponsored Three-Day International Seminar on “Archives as Living Memory in the Indian Knowledge Ecosystem” at Presidency University, Kolkata

February 3, 2027 at 10am to February 5, 2027 at 5pm
Monday
Rabishankar Giri posted an event

ICSSR-Sponsored Three-Day International Seminar on “Archives as Living Memory in the Indian Knowledge Ecosystem” at Presidency University, Kolkata

February 3, 2027 at 10am to February 5, 2027 at 5pm
Monday
Dr Praggya Pandey posted a blog post
Monday

Dear Professionals

Please suggest that the current trends in LIS for research.

Views: 461

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Dear Sri Selvakumar,

Truly speaking, Computer or IT related activities in the field of Library and Information Science (be it Digitization, be it Open Source Software or Metadata management) is the trend as I have observed.

However, I am not sure of their feasibility as far as their real life applications are concerned.

And yes, there is another trend (which now-a-days, however, has become sort of second priority among certain aspirants) is survey research by way of questionnaire (it has become rather easier because electronic mail system!!) BUT, well, there is a big BUT in survey research. I have attached an editorial comment published in the January 2012 issue of Journal of Medical Library Association on Survey Research. Please go through it so that you can understand by your self what is the real-life merit of such research. I have attached it with proper deliberation because I believe that persons who are presently doing Ph.D. are expected to lead the profession for the next few decades while supposedly, there will be pretty stringent evaluation process in future and I am afraid many of such theses may fall short of merit. It has already become a norm (albeit, unofficial) to check how many papers have been published out of a Doctoral Dissertation. So the Ph.D. aspirants should be careful about the quality of their work.

Another popular trend is rather a part of Survey Research and that one comes up with proverbial title Information seeking pattern of......

I understand that many M.Lib/ M.Phil and even Ph.D. dissertations have come out with such proverbial title (with some modifications, of course, in certain cases) and I have no reservation to say that a considerable percentage of such dissertations lacks merit.

I am sorry for being so elaborate, but I have taken the opportunity to inform my young co-professionals of the hard days of evaluation are in the anvil

I wish you good luck for your research efforts.

Siddhartha s. Ray, Calcutta

Attachments:

Sir

Thanks for information most valuable and needy for the PHD asperants, i am just an entry level that is just i completed my BLISc and now i am planning to do MLISc and prepare for NET kindly advice

regards.

Raghavendra.GN

dear sir,

i really welcome for your valuable suggestions in this regard.  Thanking you sir,

 

i really welcome for your valuable suggestions in this regard.  Thanking you sir,

RSS

© 2026   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

LIS Links whatsApp