LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

Members

UGC Notification: B.L.I.Sc. and M.L.I.Sc. Should be Restructured / Changed to B. Lib. I. Sc. and M. Lib. I. Sc.

In University Grants Commission (UGC), Specification of Degrees, New Delhi March, 2014, Published in the Gazette of India, New Delhi, Saturday, July 5 - July 11, 2014, the UGC asked the Universities and Institutes to restructured / changed the B.L.I.Sc. to B. Lib. I. Sc. and M.L.I.Sc. to M. Lib. I. Sc. Again both the B. Lib. I. Sc and M. Lib. I. Sc should be of one year programme. As per UGC, the University / Institute can also offer B.Lib.Sc. and M.Lib.Sc. of one year duration.

This Gazette notification clearly pushing us to go backward. Here are some of my personal observation regarding this

1. A one year M.Lib.I.Sc. degree holder will not be in a position to equate themselves to the general master degree holders in others subjects as there will be a gap of one year in comparison to other's two years master degree programme. Even the master degree holders in other subject, will treat our subject as an inferior to their subject and there will be a sound logic behind this. It was happened when we used to have one year B.Lib.I.Sc. and one year M.Lib.I.Sc in the past and was the logic behind now two years M.Lib.I.Sc. programme.

2. If any university will introduce two years M.Lib.I.Sc degree then the entry qualification should be one year B.Lib.I.Sc. degree. So, in such cases, the students should have to undergo three years programme to complete the M.Lib.I.Sc degree. If it is the case why we cannot have three years B.Lib.I.Sc and two years M.Lib.I.Sc. degree programme. It will make the whole programme at par with other subject.

3. Some universities and institutions are not offering hostel facilities to the students who are enrolling for a single year programme. So, both the B.Lib.I.Sc. and M.Lib.I.Sc. degree aspirants will not be able to apply for the hostel facilities.

There are obviously other issues, that will negatively influence the subject.

See the official notification here: http://goo.gl/V93DvW

Views: 4060

Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Though the gazette notification stipulates truncated 1-ear BLIS and 1-year MLIS programmes, universities may also opt for 2-year integrated MLIS programme as stipulated in the guiding principle of this gazette notification (p.2993).

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Koha Workshop