LIS Links Becoming More Social

Latest Activity

Profile IconKamalesh Dinda, Dr. Shivaganga and ASWIN T joined LIS Links
2 hours ago
Dr. Chhavi Jain and Shadiya are now friends
2 hours ago
Reeti Brar is attending Sunita Pareek's event
Thumbnail

Webinar on AI for Libraries at https://meet.google.com/fey-fjee-mdr

December 12, 2025 from 12pm to 2pm
yesterday
Samidha Sandeep Yadav might attend Gopal Pandey's event
yesterday
shankar das updated their profile
yesterday
Namita Bayan is attending Dr. Divyanshu Gupta's event
Monday
Namita Bayan might attend Rabishankar Giri's event

ICSSR-Sponsored Three-Day International Seminar on “Archives as Living Memory in the Indian Knowledge Ecosystem” at Presidency University, Kolkata

February 3, 2027 at 10am to February 5, 2027 at 5pm
Monday
Rabishankar Giri posted an event

ICSSR-Sponsored Three-Day International Seminar on “Archives as Living Memory in the Indian Knowledge Ecosystem” at Presidency University, Kolkata

February 3, 2027 at 10am to February 5, 2027 at 5pm
Monday
Dr Praggya Pandey posted a blog post
Monday
Profile IconVANPARIYA ROHITKUMAR VALLABHBHAI, Bapan Chandra Das, Archana S. Mangave and 2 more joined LIS Links
Monday
Dr. Divyanshu Gupta posted an event
Monday
OSS Prasad updated an event
Monday

18. A number of devices that are related to recall and precision have been studied by
1. Gilchrist
2. Vickery
3. Lancaster
4. Ranganathan

Views: 1832

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Probably it is F.W. Lancaster, one of the pioneer of the studies on IR.

As I can recall, F.W Lancaster had  experimented it during late 60s (probably 1968 as I can still recall) for MEDLARS. I am taking this opportunity to share my personal experience which is more than quarter of a century ago!!

(In 1984 April ICMR Librarians were imparted training on online searching of MEDLARS database and as one of the participants we were provided with photocopies of the literature which as I can still recall, included Lancaster's write up. There was stormy discussion with the Swedish experts from Karolinska University and Prof. Ganesh Bhattacharya, the then Director of DRTC who also attended that training which was the first of its kind in India. Actually Prof. Bhattacharya opined that it was Prof. Ranganathan's  brain child and we, the Indian participants were keeping our finger crossed in favour of Prof Ranganathan...Hey Bhagwan, please please let it be established that it was Prof. Ranganathan's !!!

But later Dr. Per Olsson, of Karoninska Institute politely explained that in mid 40s some Mr. Bush published a paper on it and in1955,Prof. Kent (probably of Case Western Reserve University, U.S.A) published a paper on it in American Documentation!! As I recall I had Kent's paper (which was distributed among us the next day photocopied from the then newly shifted INSDOC at Satsang Bihar Marg. As the youngest participant, I was asked to meet Mr. Rajagopalan, the then Scientist-in-Charge of INSDOC with a official letter to collect a copy of that article)

It was my first ever participation to a training course and as an young librarian I was enchanted to see in my own eyes that a librarian can have a designation as Scientist !!

Incidentally, as I can remember, during that discussion, no claim was evolved for Prof. Vickery or Prof Gilchrist.

I have left ICMR service some 15 years ago and working elsewhere since then and as I know, none of the participants are in service now and I had left virtually all my papers at my previous institute.

Sincerely,

Siddhartha S. Ray

RSS

© 2026   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

LIS Links whatsApp