Latest Activity

Kriti Dimri left a comment for Surendra Singh
10 hours ago
MOHD ASIF KHAN is attending DAYAL SINGH BHATI's event

IASLIC 30 TH NATIONAL SEMINAR 2024 at ALIGARH MUSLIM UNIVERSITY ALIGAR UP

November 21, 2024 at 9pm to November 23, 2024 at 7pm
11 hours ago
MohanLeo posted a status
"Dear all, Plz participate in this survey. Thank you all. https://forms.gle/PUrGH3eDVpNcwQFH7"
11 hours ago
Surendra Singh updated their profile
yesterday

Please help me in preparation of bibliography from online source

Views: 394

Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Thank you sir,

But I'm not able to clarify my problem. Please help me Sir.

Dear Md. Zubair Ahmed,

Thanks for your post and especially your honest comments on Wednesday!!

However, as I observed, is you need to explain your query adequately and then only a suitable suggestion cane be made available from the forum members. However, I am explaining the theory of searching from a Bibliographic database.

Please note that My post is based on how one can get a list of pertinent references by searching a database

Here, On the very onset I mus mention that different Databases calls for different search formulations  to create fruitful search strategies!

Never-the-less, same database produced by different agencies need to formulate different search formulations as well  (Earlier when MEDLINE database was commercially available products of OVID & KNIGHT RIDERS needed sort of different search strategies) 

Any way, the general principle of searching any database is through Boolean logic like OR,AND & NOT.

You  have to formulate your search strategies based on KEYWORD SEARCH or TEXT WORD SEARCH.

TEXT WORDS are those key words which appear in the title of the article. While Keywords NOT NECESSARILY ALWAYS appear in the  title of the article but they constitute inherent part of the subject (as Subject Index Terms) an article deals with!

I don't know whether you are a New Gen professionals and are accustomed in doing only copy cataloguing, if it be so, it may be a bit unfamiliar/complicated to you but in case you are one who have done/does card cataloguing and especially prepare/d multiple subject indices (to be) assigned with with catalogues so that "subject searches" are possible, the issue is quite familiar to them!! Incidentally, it needs a fairly good knowledge of the subject &/or terminology (as the case may be) to make a search more compact and meaningful.

Here I must add that searching a database needs  good common sen sense and a certain degree of masterlyness on the subject. Those who know the subject better, have better understandings of alternative phrases (like mammary in place of breast)and particular terminologies often do better searching.

For instance, in Medical Sciences the three terms ECTOMY OSTOMY & OTOMY have different meanings as different operative surgery techniques. As such, Choledo Cole SYSTECTOMY is a differnt type of Operation than Choledo Cole SYSTOSTOMY. A Medical Librarian having good knowledge of such Medical Terminologies can often generate very pertinent references by using NOT as Boolean logic.

I hope that I could explain your query  at least to some extent.

Sincerely,

Siddhartha S. Ray, Calcutta

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Koha Workshop