LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

Members

Latest Activity

Kendriya Vidyalays to implement New Library Policy and Procedure Manual 2013

Dear All,

Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) is the premier organization in School Education sector in the country administering1094 schools (Kendriya Vidyalayas) and catering more than 11 lakh students (as on
31.01.2013). Since its inception in 1963, Libraries have been given with utmost importance and been considered integral for the academic excellence of the learners and teachers.

In 2011, a national level Committee was formed to assess the status of KV Libraries and to revise the existing Library Policy, to integrate it with the dynamically changing learning environments. The objective
was to redesign the entire KV Library System and set new standards and guidelines. Suggestions were invited from all stakeholders including library professionals, administrators and Associations. Meetings were held at different levels. The Members visited many reputed school libraries. They studied the situation in other countries and went through their school library standards and manuals.

It was found that, although all KVs having own libraries, physical and intellectual (collection) status varies. After careful deliberations, the Committee brought out a draft proposal in 2012 and that was circulated among all Kendriya Vidyalayas around the country. The suggestions and comments received were considered during the final preparation of the Policy. The document consists of two parts (i) Library Policy and (ii) Procedure Manual. The chapters include (i) Resources (ii) Staffing (iii) Library Management (iii) Library Services and Activities  and (vi) Monitoring and Evaluation. The Appendices include Annual Library Activity Plan (ALAP), Model Library Furniture Designs, Suggested Periodicals, Librarians' Diary, etc.

The need of recruiting a Library Assistant was stated in the proposal with all details including his/her qualifications and duties and responsibilities. The Committee also proposed to rename the Librarians as TGT(LIS) to bring them into the academic stream and status. There are many more changes in the document to take KV Libraries into global level.

KVS is to approve the new Library Policy shortly and to recruit Library Assistants in big schools. The renaming of Librarians as TGT (LIS) has also been considered and will be finalized soon. We hope that the New Library Policy and Procedure Manual will reshape the Library scenario in KVs and will set an example for other school systems.

At this juncture, on behalf of all KV Librarians and as a Member of the Committee, I would like to appreciate Kendriya Vidyalya Sangathan and all Committee Members to take this bold step and congratulate all KV Librarians who shared their time and efforts to make this venture a great success. The comments and suggestions received through LIS-FORUM and LIS-LINKS were valuable and helped us a lot.The Members of KV Librarians Network ( http://kvlibrarians.grou.ps/) deserve special appreciation. I also thank AIKVTA and other professional bodies to support our cause.

This was a team effort and all credit goes to KV Librarians around the country.

Thanks and regards

S.L.Faisal, Librarian

Views: 1142

Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

All of these achievements are the result of your hard and sincere efforts.
The re-designation and LIS as subject at 10+2 level were the big issues, which I raised earlier with your active discussion with me.
But sir we are still not getting promotion chances and library assistant in two section school. As you know that these are the burning issues for the profession. This argument is totaly wrong that three section school do not have much work load, even it is not related with work load the post is related to daily routien work. I think there is no difference in work load in 3 and 4 section schools. 

Please draft a separate proposals for above issues with a request to consider the issues for the betterment of library facility and services.

Well, this a welcome news.

Kindly accept my regards for your efforts Sir.

Sir, As you say that Librarians would be re designated as TGT (Librarain), does it mean that librarians will also be promoted to the post of Vice Principles and Principles?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Koha Workshop