LIS Links Becoming More Social

Latest Activity

Bidyut Bikash Kalita posted a blog post
14 hours ago
Pallavi lamba updated their profile
17 hours ago
Profile IconShalini Singh, Pratima S. Pandey, Gobinda Patel and 1 more joined LIS Links
yesterday
Rahul Devkant updated their profile
yesterday
ASHOK KUMAR MISHRA posted a blog post
yesterday
nidhi singh updated their profile
yesterday
Profile IconLIS Links now has leaderboards
Thursday
Profile IconRaj Stephan Murmu, Jyoti Amit kumar Solanki, Mumtaz Nazir and 3 more joined LIS Links
Thursday
Anant Kulkarni updated their profile
Thursday
Bidyut Bikash Kalita was featured
Thursday
Dr. Chhavi Jain and Shadiya are now friends
Wednesday
Reeti Brar is attending Sunita Pareek's event
Thumbnail

Webinar on AI for Libraries at https://meet.google.com/fey-fjee-mdr

December 12, 2025 from 12pm to 2pm
Tuesday

Its official now: Library Legislations or Library Acts cannot make Public Library System independent and can't stop political influence.

Dear All,

 

Its official now: Library Legislations or Library Acts cannot make Public Library System independent and can't stop political influence.

 

I am shocked to know UGC, a body appointed by Govt. of India, “executive authority” in relation to a University has opinion that Library Legislations or Library Acts cannot make Public Library System independent and can't stop political influence in Library System.

Request your opinion please…

Views: 306

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Totally agree with you, I also gave the feedback but UGC did not make any change.

u r right sir

Dear Sri Iranna Shettar,

Thanks for your mail.

However, I could not find acceptable reasons of yours being Shocked with the UGC announcement  ( I have not seen it but I'd love to know the source though!)

Rather, we should be thankful (if they indeed have made such a statement) because they have SPOKEN THE TRUTH at least! However, as I personally feel,  the statement holds good not only to Public Libraries but also to other types of libraries as well.

In places, situations are so polluted that competent persons rarely opts for certain places. I myself witnessed selection of a University Librarian within FIFTY SEVEN SECONDS!! It was a couple of years ago and the situation is no better even in recent time. One of my close friend  joined in an university Library and WITHIN THREE MONTHS s/he resigned and rejoined into her/his old place!!

A national research Institute has virtually closed down its Library on the plea of renovation. The library is being renovated since last 18 Months!!

A Public Library however has a committee presumably constituted from heterogeneous group of people but since money comes from government towards Salary of Staff and recruitment are made through government, political intervention is therefore quite natural.

But as you can see from my  above narratives, situations in other Libraries are no better.

As such, I convey my sincere appreciation to UGC as at least they have shown the courage to confess the truth.

Sincerely,

Siddhartha S. Ray, Calcutta

RSS

© 2026   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

LIS Links whatsApp