LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

LIS Links Becoming More Social

Latest Activity

Ashutosh Joshi is attending Hemanta Kumar Biswal's event
Thumbnail

National Conference on “Intelligent and Smart Digital Library (ISDL-2026)” at IIT Kharagpur at IIT Kharagpur

December 21, 2026 at 9am to December 22, 2026 at 6pm
yesterday
Profile IconShubhanshu Vishwakarma, KAMALDEEP, Dk and 13 more joined LIS Links
yesterday
Dr. Badan Barman posted an event

7th National Conference on Management of Modern Libraries (NACML– 2027) on “Contemporary Approaches to Libraries: Emerging Technologies, Services, and Skills at Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal, Karnataka

January 29, 2027 at 10am to January 30, 2027 at 5pm
yesterday
Shariyan Ahmed posted a blog post
yesterday
Dr. V. Senthur Velmurugan posted an event
yesterday
Biswaranjan Jayanti Manna posted an event
Thumbnail

IASLIC 31st National Seminar 2026 on Adaptive Libraries: Resilience and Innovation at Bansuri Guru Auditorium, Institute of Technical Education & Research, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India

December 28, 2026 to December 30, 2026
yesterday
Dr.Giriraj Halkar posted a discussion
yesterday
CHIKKUDU VENKATA MURALI updated their profile
yesterday
Dr. Badan Barman and Paradip Sen Roy are now friends
yesterday
Umasankar Mahata is attending Dr. Manoj Das's event
Thumbnail

Two-Day Online National Workshop on Library Automation Using Koha at Cooch Behar, West Bengal

October 2, 2026 at 11am to October 3, 2026 at 5pm
yesterday
Umasankar Mahata is attending Paradip Sen Roy's event
Thumbnail

Two-Day Online National Workshop on "Library Automation Using Koha" at Online

October 2, 2026 at 11am to October 3, 2026 at 5pm
yesterday
Jayvardhan Singh updated their profile
Thursday
S. Jaffer Basha left a comment for Pallavi Sushant Sapkal
Wednesday
Anju sagar posted a status
"What are you up to?"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"What are you up to?"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"Dear All Librarian, PFA Call for Book Chapters/Research Papers for Edited Book To be Published with ISBN under IIP International Publi"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"What are you upCall for Chapters Transforming Libraries in the Age of AI: Towards a Smarter Knowledge Ecosystem to?"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"What are you up to?"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"What are you up to?"
Tuesday
Ankush Nandkishor Makode shared Dr. Badan Barman's group on Facebook
Monday
On 21.o8.2010, I visited Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University Library, Raipur. I went to the counter assistant to ask for permission to see the library. He allowed me to get in and then I had gone through the books and the system.

I came back to him after some half-an-hour time and I said politely THANKS to him for the permission. He didn't responded. Again I said. Now also the same. He was doing some work. So I thought I should wait till his work is over. I was waiting there for 10-15 minutes only to say THANKS, but he didn't turned up.

At one stage, he started staring at me. I was amused. I said thanks again for the permission. He started shouting at me. I don't understand why he behaved with me like that.

Why people are suddenly changing their mindset that too where there is no such work pressure.

Being in Library, one need to be cool and calm so that he/she can serve the users friendly manner. Is saying THANKS was wrong? No courtesy is required? Where we are heading?

Though I was not taking this as an issue, I felt that why even THANKS was not accepted?

Friends, please understand other's views also and react.

Views: 483

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Dear Friends,

As this post is showing the attitude of a library professional, I feel that it should be discussed to bring up a solution among all of us to improve the standard of the library services.

Isn't it?

So, any views & opinions?
Hello Chandrasekhar

I am not surprised by this kind of attitude by the person you met in Pt Ravisahkar University. The problem is we ( most of the people lack atticasy in this country, even some of the highest qualified ) It is not only the staff in libraries , if you look at the accounts people/ clerks, the attendants , police department, post offices, even many people in government banks all dealing with public behave very rudely. What is required is proper Grooming and good communication skills for all staff specially those recruited in government and autonomous bodies . The multinational companies take special care on this aspect. I believe there should be a compulsory course in school/collages, like "moral science' in many English medium schools. I was traveling to France very recently and herd from the crew members of the Indian airlines too that Indians lack courtesy.... no sorry, no thanks, they don't even bother to say "please."..... so somewhere in our society this lacking . A lot of grooming is done in ones one family but there are families where these things are not taught to child and they grow up in the same environment , perhaps never got chance to mingle and learn with courteous people . You might have been an example to him.... my suggestion is always make un-courteous people realize that they are quite impolite, this might ashame them a little bit, specially to the staff in libraries ........... perhaps we can make a difference.... Attitude Literacy -( This can be a very fruitful topic for a conference......... interestingly)..... corporate culture is need of hour in all public related services, especially the libraries as we are knowledge /information disseminators )


Cheeeeeeeeers !!!!!!!
the words we are searching here for are Total Quality Management
Dear Mr.Chandra Sekhar,
You r right and if he is not responded.It is his mistake and we should carry on our right things and we should alert for our little care .

Thanks & regards
Madam,

Librarians are so neglected by the staff, students and system too, so many times their response is not that much good. I'm a Librarian in school when some body is coming to me asking about book, as of my nature I ask them to what they actually want (when their request is not clear) so their reply to me is like that if they speaks something on their subject, this may be a very first day for me that I heard about their approached subject. After interacting with them and saw their attitude, I'm not hesitating to say "how many subjects are being taught in your school I've valid qualifications on all of them, may be computers, science, commerce etc apart from library science" only languages part I can teach but not having adequate qualifications as per norms of teaching. And many times I started teaching them science or of topic what they approached there only with the words "whenever, whatever, and wherever you want to ask (like www), ask, I'll give you answer/or atlease satisfy your need until you meet an expert, for such things I need not to see or refer any book like your teachers". I may be rude here, but how long you bear and ahead with this remark that he is a librarian means caretaker of books and periodicals only with the remarks that, a librarian means - a person who doesn't know anything. Though where I'm serving I'm not let anybody disrespect me, at the same time I too try not to disrespect any body may be a student or a fellow colleague. Why I'm doing so, because I want to create a unique identity in peoples mind. At the same time few of my students who went out and seeking their engg/med courses are still approaching me for having problems in their assigned research projects, writing papers etc.

Rajeev Shrivastava
ya , I feel very sorry to know all happened with you,this is a very common thing.why a man ill treat with others,you think this behavior is with you, what will happens when in an educational institute it would be done with students .I have a great experience this type of behavior,it increases theft to take a revenge with library professional,it is a great lesson for all library professionals,we all have to maintain our patience level to provide good services as we come to help our readers, and it is our duty also.we should calm .

Thanks and regards
sunita
Yes... That is the pathetic condition of few library staff of various institutions. It is because of such behaviours, all others, who are working hard in our field also derecognised.

Whenever others asking me, "what is your work?" I used to say I am working as a Librarian. The usual and immediate reaction from them is something we don't want to see. i.e. very cheap attitude on us.

When we only provide all information required by them through library, why there is no proper recognition for us? It is the mistake from both sides. From us, as a library professionals; and then it is the institutions which needs to improve their attitude towards librarians.

Hmmmmmmm...... What is the solution? & who will bell the cat?

RSS

© 2026   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

LIS Links whatsApp